Relationship Success: Keeping Communication Lines Open
It is easy when relationships are new but the hard part is figuring out how to keep the relationship going in a
positive direction. If you want your relationship to succeed, you need to keep communication lines open.
The following are tips to help you be better at communicating with your partner:
1. Talk openly with each other about how you think and feel without either of you making the other feel bad. It is
important you can tell each other anything and know that you will be listened to and taken seriously.
2. You have to support each other if you are going to be able to communicate well. If there is no support, you
will not be able to communicate effectively. Tell your partner that you hear what he or she is telling you and that
your partner's feelings are valid.
3. When you have disagreements, make sure you talk about them. No matter how good your relationship is, you and
your partner are going to disagree. If you keep communication lines open, you will be able to talk through problems
and come to a solution that works for both of you. The key to solving your problems as a couple is to learn how to
compromise so both of you are happy.
4. Be a good listener. Make sure you are there when your partner has something to talk about. Let him or her talk
without interruption. Wait until your partner is done talking before you try to respond. If one of you does not
feel like the lines of communication are open, the relationship will suffer.
5. Make sure your relationship is built on trust and that you are always honest with each other. Talk to your
partner honestly and never lie. If you lie about one thing, you are going to lie about one more. If you cannot
trust your partner, you are going to have serious problems in your relationship.
6. Don’t make light of things that are bothering your partner. Take what your partner has to say seriously and
listen carefully. If something is bothering your partner, it has to be addressed and you have to help out. If you
want your partner to take your issues seriously, you have to be there for him or her. You also have to take your
7. Keep a positive point of view when it comes to your partner and your relationship. You won’t always find this
easy to do but it is important if you want to keep the lines of communication open. If you have a negative outlook
on your relationship, it will affect your ability to communicate with each other.
8. Don’t keep the way you think and feel inside. Instead, let it out and share your feelings. Otherwise, you will
only end up saying things you regret and feelings will get hurt.
Use these tips to keep the lines of communication open in your relationship. That way, you can make sure your
relationship stays strong for a very long time.